Diamantaire Mehul Choksi will "only" return to Dominica to face trial for illegal entry into that country when a doctor "certifies" that he is fit to stand trial, the media there reported citing conditions laid down by the Dominica high court while granting him bail. In a major setback to Indian efforts to bring him from the Caribbean country, Dominica high court Judge Bernie Stephenson allowed the businessman to return to Antigua and Barbuda, where he has been living as a citizen since 2018 after leaving India, to seek medical advice from neurologist Hayden Osborne at the Mount St. John's Medical Centre, Dominica News Online reported. Choksi is having a clot in brain besides other health issues such as diabetes and hypertension, his legal team has submitted.
The Government of Dominica has told a court there to reject the habeas corpus petition filed on behalf of businessman Mehul Choksi who had claimed that he was abducted and forcefully brought to the Caribbean island nation, local media reported. The high court of Dominica ordered that the businessman be produced in a magistrate court to answer charges of his illegal entry into the country and adjourned the hearing on the habeas corpus petition till Thursday, according to local media. Rejecting the submission of Choksi who is wanted in India in an alleged Rs 13,500 crore loan fraud case in Punjab National Bank, the prosecution said the habeas corpus petition does not stand as he had illegally entered the country and was subsequently detained.
The Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court in the High Court of Justice Commonwealth of Dominica on Friday put a stay on the repatriation of India-born fugitive Mehul Choksi from Dominica. "This order is to be served immediately on the defendants by email and fax and in person, and the head of immigration at the Douglas Charles airport by email and fax," read the court order. The court will hold the next hearing in the matter on May 28 at 9 am local time.
Abstaining in the UN General Assembly on a vote to suspend Russia from the UN Human Rights Council, India on Thursday asserted that if it has 'chosen' any side, it is the side of 'peace and it is for an immediate end to violence.'
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj met Foreign Minister of Antigua and Barbuda E P Chet Greene on the sidelines of the 73rd session of the United Nations General Assembly and raised the extradition issue of Choksi, who is currently in the Caribbean island.
The Delhi high court on Friday dismissed a plea by Mehul Choksi, an accused in the nearly USD 2 billion PNB scam, to conduct pre-screening of Netflix documentary Bad Boy Billionaires.
The valuables include polished diamonds, pearls and silver jewellery and are worth Rs 1,350 crore.
Of the 4.10 crore to be shared through COVAX, 1.40 crore will go to Latin America and the Caribbean nations and 1.60 crore to Asia.
Companies owned by fugitive diamantaire Mehul Choksi have allegedly siphoned off over Rs 6,344.96 crore from the Punjab National Bank (PNB) using fraudulent letters of undertaking and foreign letters of credit, a CBI investigation into the scam has detected. The findings were submitted by the CBI in a supplementary chargesheet filed before a special court in Mumbai last week, where the agency said the PNB was conned by its employees who were allegedly hand in gloves with Choksi and his company executives and who facilitated the scam as part of a criminal conspiracy. The PNB officials at the bank's Brady House branch in Mumbai issued 165 letters of undertaking (LoUs) and 58 foreign letters of credit (FLCs) during March-April 2017, against which 311 bills were discounted.
India looking at bringing back Choksi under Antiguan law applicable to Commonwealth countries
However, the Indian capital markets regulator rejected the claim saying it neither received any such request, nor provided any such information to the concerned department in Antigua.
There is a two-minute footage about Choksi in the series which allegedly shows him in a bad light and therefore, could affect the various proceedings against him in India.
Video footage from India's tour of the West Indies.
"Well, he never used words like escape or shared with me such a plan like this. However, he did ask me twice if I have ever been to Cuba, he also told me that the next time we may meet in Cuba. He never explained the escape plan but I'm certain that Dominica is not his final destination but if you ask my opinion, I can be more and more certain that Cuba could have been his final destination," Barbara told ANI.
Fugitive Diamantaire Mehul Choksi who is held in Dominica after his mysterious disappearance from Antigua and Barbuda has alleged that his "friend" Barbara Jabarica was instrumental in his abduction which involved musclemen claiming to be Antiguan Police and mercenaries looking like Indians. The police have started the investigation after receiving a complaint from Choksi, Antigua Prime Minister Gaston Browne said.
Stuart Broad bowled particularly well for England, unlucky to pick up only three scalps during a long day in the field for the visitors, who dropped several catches, including two by Jos Buttler at third slip.
The Dominica high court on Wednesday ordered that diamantaire Mehul Choksi be produced before a magistrate there to answer charges of his illegal entry into the Caribbean island country, local media reported. Dominica high court Judge Bernie Stephenson issued the orders after nearly three hours of hearing on a habeas corpus petition filed on behalf of Choksi who had claimed that he was abducted from neighbouring Antigua and Barbuda and forcefully brought to the Caribbean Island nation. She adjourned the habeas corpus matter till Thursday, Dominica News Online reported.
Choksi is wanted in India by the CBI and the Enforcement Directorate, which are probing the PNB fraud, the biggest banking scam in the country. India continues to pursue Choksi's return with the government of Antigua through diplomatic and legal channels.
Choksi, who was allegedly the partner-in-crime of his nephew Nirav Modi in the banking fraud, refused to say anything further on the issue, on the advice of his lawyers.
'My husband is no longer an Indian citizen. 'In 2017, he ceased to be an Indian citizen.' 'The safest place on earth for him is Antigua'
An old-fashioned green-top pitch at the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium in North Sound was certainly a mitigating factor in England's performance, especially early on when West Indies' four-pronged pace attack exploited the favourable conditions.
According to Goal.com, Messi was set to return to the Catalan capital with his family at the weekend, but will now not be back until around July 12.
During the short tour, India will play five ODIs and one T20I game against the Caribbean side. The five ODIs will be played from the June 23 to July 6. The only T20I will be played at SabinaPark on the July 9.
West Indian legend Vivian Richards has heaped praise on Indian Test skipper Virat Kohli, describing his maiden double hundred on the second day of the opening Test as 'magnificent' and 'classy'.
The evacuation of coastal areas of Florida and neighboring Georgia was the biggest seen in the US in a dozen years.
It was perhaps over-enthusiasm that prompted the Indian investigative agencies to take a private jet to Dominica to bring back fugitive diamantaire Mehul Choksi. Predictably, the eight-member team had to return empty-handed after almost a week-long wait. The agencies were banking too much on the "state-less" status of Mr Choksi, as Antigua, which had given him citizenship in 2017, wasn't willing to take him back. Thus, the calculation was that Mr Choksi would be whisked away from the Dominican courtroom to the waiting plane. The reason for the optimism was also because Antigua is friendly territory for India.
Opener Michael Lumb top-scored with a fluent 106 on debut but was unable to prevent England from slipping to a 15-run defeat by the West Indies in the first one-day international in North Sound, Antigua, on Friday.
'I was shocked by the kidnapping episode. I could have lost my life.'
Taking the floor immediately after his election, Ashe, who is Antigua and Barbuda's Permanent Representative to the United Nations in New York, said that in 18 months, the world body would launch an agenda for sustainable development for all
The 26-year-old Stokes was charged last week after a lengthy investigation into an incident outside a Bristol nightclub last September.
Only nine governments out of 193 UN member states own their country name Twitter handle and interestingly the @India handle is owned by an Indian person living in Guangzhou, China and the account owner shares pictures from his daily life and has made it clear that his Twitter handle is not for sale.
A major fire that broke out on the Colombo-bound merchant vessel M V Amsterdam Bridge off Mumbai coast has been contained but the presence of dangerous cargo continues to make things critical, Coast Guard officials said.
The ship, carrying hazardous cargo, caught fire near the Prongs Reef Lighthouse in South Mumbai on Sunday.
Canada and Mexico took big steps towards the next phase of World Cup qualification after wins in the CONCACAF region on Friday while Jamaica tasted victory over the United States for the first time.
The United States and Mexico both opened their 2014 World Cup qualifying campaigns with 3-1 wins while Honduras suffered a surprise loss in the opening fixtures of the third round.
The West Indies Cricket Board has asked Chris Gayle to meet with its officials to put an end to 'residual matters' related to their seemingly concluded spat after the destructive opener confirmed his availability for national duty.
Spain clung to the top of the FIFA rankings despite modest friendly performances this month while Venezuela's impressive World Cup qualifying campaign propelled them to a record high.
Cricket should be included in the Commonwealth Games and Olympics to help the game grow around the world, West Indies cricketing great Viv Richards said on Wednesday.
The International Cricket Council and the Federation of International Cricketers' Associations acknowledged the services to cricket of Antigua and Barbuda legends Sir Vivian Richards and Andy Roberts and Jamaica fast bowling hero Michael Holding on Monday by inducting them into the ICC Cricket Hall of Fame. The former players were presented with their Hall of Fame caps by West Indies Cricket Board President Dr Julian Hunte.
West Indies captain Chris Gayle has been named captain of Stanford Superstars, which will face England in the 20-million-dollar Stanford Twenty20 match on November 1. The left-hand opening batsman will have Antigua and Barbuda captain Sylvester Joseph as his deputy.